Move up a notch in fandom with these little-known Wonder Woman facts
Iconic superhero, Wonder Woman ranks up there with the other superheroes, Superman and Batman and until now has not featured in her own feature-length film. The recent Wonder Woman (M) feature film shattered box office records across the globe. There is even already a sequel in the works including the same team – DC Entertainment, director Patty Jenkins and lead star, Gal Gadot.
To celebrate the superhero blockbuster being available to buy or rent on Yes TV by Fetch, we’ve discovered some little-known facts about the Wonder Woman character and feature film.
- Actress, Gal Godot, who plays Princess Diana of Themyscira also known as Diana Prince, was pregnant during the film shoot. Re-shoots saw the five-month pregnant actor’s stomach be wrapped in green cloth. Effectively becoming a green screened belly!
- The film project was so secret, Gal Gadot was unaware of what film she was auditioning for, and was asked to just read given lines during the initial camera test.
- Island-nation ‘The Themyscira’ also known as Paradise Island (and home of the Amazons)is actually the Amalfi Coast in Italy and has become a tourist destination due to the movie’s popularity.
- The Israeli actress trained 6 hours per day for nearly 7 months in preparation for the role. Gadot gained nearly 8 kilos in muscle tone and her training included battle choreography, sword and shield play as well as horse agility lessons.
- Costume Designer, Lindy Hemming, created 7 different versions of the Wonder Woman costume.
- While the original Wonder Woman was set in World War II, Director of the film, Patty Jenkins moved it to feature in the time of World War I.
- Director, Jenkins includes a homage to Richard Donner’s Superman by including Diana Prince saving Steve Trevor from a bullet with her wrist. In the 1978 Superman film, Clark Kent caught a bullet seconds before it would have hit Lois Lane.
- Wonder Woman is a founding member of the JL – the Justice League and the only female superhero in the League. The other founding members are Superman and Batman.
- Patty Jenkins is the first female director at the helm of a feature film with a female superhero character.
- The character of Wonder Woman was created in 1941 by William Marston who also invented the lie detector test/polygraph machine.
Watch the trailer
Buy or rent Wonder Woman in the Movie Store on Yes TV by Fetch now.
WONDER WOMAN and all related characters and elements are trademarks of and © DC Comics. © 2017 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. and RatPac-Dune Entertainment LLC.
General: For use in Australia. Fair Go Policies Applies. Available in selected homes and selected areas.
Yes TV by Fetch eligibility & equipment: Available on selected postpaid mobile and home broadband plans in selected premises. Requires an active fixed broadband internet connection with a download speed of at least 3Mbps, and access to free to air digital TV services via an external antenna connection. Optus owns the set top box, and you must return it following cancellation of the service. Fees apply for late return or damage to the set top box.
Buying TV and Movie content provides you with a non-transferable right to use the content, provided you maintain your Yes TV by Fetch service. If you cancel your Yes TV by Fetch service you will lose any purchased content. Any purchased content will be charged to the Optus fixed broadband or postpaid mobile bill that is associated with your Yes TV by Fetch service subscription.